Friday, July 18, 2008

Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue Own Hollywood!




OK, so maybe it was only about 120 people, and only West Hollywood, but based on the energy generated during the set, from the band and the crowd, I'd say Troy and his band have an open invitation to the Key Club.

Orleans Avenue was not the headliner. They were the second of three bands to perform on the evening. Most people seemed to be waiting around for the funk band, Lettuce, who was set to perform after Troy so when Troy first arrived on stage, the crowd was friendly, polite and certainly not prepared for what they were about to hear. An hour later friendly and polite turned into a downright frenzy reminicent of what it is like to see Troy at the Blue Nile or DBA on Frenchmen street. Even the members of Lettuce were shaking their heads in disbelief at Troy's trumpet solos. And I have to say that Troy seems to be even better on the Trumpet, which is hard to imagine. His trombone playing was powerful and amazing as always, but man, something about his trumpet solos last night. 80+ years of trumpet playing, from Louis to Wynton, burst from Troy's horn in small, but brilliant, doses. I will admit that living in the Los Angeles area I starve for New Orleans music so I was really, really ready for this show even if I only found out about it a few hours earlier. Therfore my objective senses may be scewed, but I believe that if the trumpet giants in jazz heaven were looking for a gig last night to view from above, their sites were probably set on West Hollywood.

No comments: